Search This Blog

Sunday 5 August 2018

Labeling  my face -   te tohu i toku mata


Whainga Ako:  we are learning to identify
parts of our face in Te Reo Maori.  
Success Criteria:  When I can use these
kupu in a sentence, or during conversation.


Rae Forehead
Makawe Hair
Tukemata Eyebrows
Kanohi Eye
Paparinga Cheek
Ihu Nose
Ngutu Lips
Kauae Chin


Mata Face


These portraits were part of our unit plan and covered our visual arts component.  All portraits were made from natural resources from around our kura. The skin was made from banana leaves, the hair came from our flax and I cut nga kanohi from leaves and my ihu is just one leaf.  Everything was hot glued into place. It took a little while to complete but the effect is worth it. Here is a link to a series of steps.



Example at the top is complete.  To stop pods and leaves etc falling off, I sprayed the portrait with polyurethane.

7 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Rom 5
    Well what a misson trying to find all the names off your face in maori
    WE do kapa haka what about you guys we do it on Tuesdays and thursdays I really like it and enjoy it at the end off the year we do a performance on kapa haka. IT is awesome.
    I love how you guys are so creative on art and you think about really fun things to take a advencher on and trying new things.

    THankyou for sharing with us FRom kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi I like your faces what you guys had made they are very creative

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora
    I'm Angus from makaraka school.
    I like how you are looking into maori art and languge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is interesting to know about the Maori name for your face. The artwork face is cool because it is made out of the environment! Did you make one each or one for the class?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We made one each, they took a little while but tamariki couldn't wait to get hold of the hot glue guns, be prepared to used a few glue sticks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tena Koe my name is Chrystalle I got Tautoro and I am a year 8,I really enjoyed how you made this out of different material,And you can even name them in a different language.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kia ora my names Rangi I got to Tautoro school and I'm a year 8 I like how you're looking into Maori art and langue it's very interesting how you made the Maori face and did you guys make one each or just for the class.

    ReplyDelete